Skip to main content

People Science


People fascinate me. All kinds of them. The lady who cribs about her mother in law all day but rubs her feet at night, the toddler who is fascinated by cars but hates noise, the hard worker who chooses to be a recluse and has a relationship with his computer, the loner who can't speak a word to girls but dreams of a fairy tale, the powerless leader who is forced to lead his country, the mysterious writer who only spins tragedy, the dynamic personality who oozes of ego concealing his bankruptcy, the delicate teen who is a misanthrope, the curious man who can only walk at right angles and the gorgeous TV star who eats tic-tacs only in pairs. These are only a handful of examples. People are more interesting than any story book. Every soul is fighting a battle and every battle has a unsaid story. It is the story that I am interested in.

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius

I've always believed that situations mould people to what they are today. I want to know the reason behind every emotion of a person. Believe me, it is fascinating. I have always been interested in people and their behaviour. I want to know every story that make a man. I want to read every face that has a hidden tale. I want to remove the veneer and see the truth inside. I want to understand people and their antics. I do not want to judge based on the external appearance, I want to know the saga behind a beautiful face or a scarred body.

Having being wanting to take up a Masters in Psychology since like forever, I came upon the concept on 'Behavioral Science' by accident. But I was hooked on to it the minute I read the first sentence.

"Behavioral science is a rapidly growing area for policy and business with fascinating insights into human behavior and wide-ranging practical implications."


A single course called 'Psychological and Behavioral Sciences' covers all aspects of psychology making it the perfect course for me to invest my money in. Upon more research, the University of Cambridge turned out to be the stepping stone that I was looking for. If given a change to go abroad and pursue a Masters in any subject of my choice I would close my eyes and land up all prepared at the University of Cambridge for a Masters in Psychological and Behavioral Sciences. It would give me the opportunity to study cognitive, social, developmental and biological psychology within the broader context of the behavioural sciences. 

"Knowledge is love and light and vision" - Helen Keller

I remember pretending to be a psychiatrist as a child and listening to people's problems with the anticipation of solving them. As luring as it sounds, I do not want to be confined to a room now. I would use my rich experience in more research and come out with thesis, white papers and books addressing some of the most common but unspoken issues of the world. This course would cover cognitive psychology, psychopathology, language, brain mechanisms, gender, family relationships and influences, personality, and group social behaviour. The University also offers a research project and a dissertation that would enable me to study in greater depth the topics that interest me the most. In addition, the University is known to have a large number of books in their departmental libraries amounting to around 50,000 books and over 150 periodicals. As well as other resources and computing facilities. Could a people enthusiast and a voracious reader ask for more?

"Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge" - Khalil Gibran

Like Plato said "Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion obtains no hold on the mind", I do not want to do something that people around me are expecting me to do. Since I write, people expect me to take up Literature. Since I have a good business sense, people push me towards Business Administration. I want to do something that I have a passion for, something that my soul craves for. I do not want to be over ambitious and try to save the world with my acquired knowledge. I want to satiate my inner thirst for knowledge by finding answers to the below questions.

What determines whether people are impulsive, take risks, or cooperate?
What factors influence behavioural change?
What influence do different cultures and societies have on human behavior?

"Doubt grows with knowledge" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Since my Bachelor's was done in Technology, I was skeptical about colleges allowing me to take up Psychology. Turns out, Cambridge does not ask for any pre-requirements for pursuing this course. This three year course would teach me everything that I have ever desired to know. Experimental Psychology from the second year course has already scored a special place in my brain and I've started reading up on it. My eyes grow wide with every word as I soak in brand new information with every paragraph. Ever since I've started looking up information about Psychological and Behavioral Sciences, I've started understanding people better. I also tend to not judge them and I'm more willing to accept them as they are. I cannot wait to take this up soon and turn my fascination into a fully fledged career.

"Those people who develop the ability to continuously acquire new and better forms of knowledge that they can apply to their work and to their lives will be the movers and shakers in our society for the indefinite future" - Brian Tracy

This is my entry for the Knowledge is Great contest on Indiblogger in association with the British Council.

~ Soumya

Comments

  1. That was really a captivating post, Soumya! This subject is really so so fascinating, I too would love to know each detail of a person. And I pray so that your dream comes true and becomes a reality! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGGGGG!!! THIS SUBJECT. THIS UNIVERSITY. PEOPLE. STUDYING THEM. THAT'S ME! I remember a time when I had psychology and I was just so passionate about I mean I am still (I will instagram the pictures of books soon) and I even registered for the exam but because I was hospitalized I couldn't take it. But seriously if you are gonna take it, that's the best subject. Go there and make us all proud! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's really really sad! Come with me, if I get a chance to go :)

      Delete
  3. Behavioural psychology...Hmmm I think I am liking the concept of this!!!
    Good luck with the contest Leo!!
    And yes people are weird! But that is the beauty behind it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear Red! I totally agree. If people weren't weird, why would we need psychology then?

      :)

      Delete
  4. Definitely an amazing post with the questions and statements and quotations!!!
    I too wanted to do the same thing back in 11th grade but it turns out all this doesn't hold much in India so now in 12th I have decided to become a psychiatrist... just a psychologist with a Dr. in front!!! and shift countries (definitely)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you atleast pursued what was available! Proud of you I am :)

      Delete
  5. Yes every emotion, reaction, weird behavior has a story behind it, as we are all born like a clean white board. The marks and scars on it are later formed in the course of life. And there are a million untold stories. Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to tap into those million untold stories. I'm glad you understood. Thanks Anita!

      Delete
  6. I love this subject! Like you I also want to know all that you've listed! *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know there is someone else with similar thoughts. High five mate! :)

      Delete
  7. you don't need a degree in psychology to read people minds or behavior. any person has led life naturally human or human in purest form is master of human psychology or philosophy.we can read people from the words they type and it takes seconds to read people with whom we converse.its all about having clarity in every aspect of life and it comes with amount of flawless life you have led.

    magnitude of intellect =amount of flawless life you have led= number of world perceptions within.

    this world has definite population and this population had definite number of perceptions in every aspect of life.you can know all the deviations of human mind only when you lead flawless life.in simple words,am the same 2yr old kid,i din't change over years like everyone.it means a person becomes wise but his mind won't deviate from original human nature to follow survival of fittest principle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful lecture on psychology. Gosh, I feel smart already!

      Somewhere not so far away Darwin is rolling in his grave. I'm sure he is proud of you.

      "Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and it usually stinks." I'm sure you have heard of this. #justsaying

      Delete
  8. All the best :)
    Love your choice of subject ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice post! all the best for this contest :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Psychology is awesome, definitely!
    I am studying it currently...and what else, I love it! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Just like me, say what you feel. While constructive criticism is welcome, please keep it subtle and kind. Thank you!